Monday, June 22, 2009

Putting it in perspective

I've been told that being abroad gives you a different outlook on life, that you are able to see everyday occurrences from a very different perspective. I look forward to this aspect of being in another environment. I'm really interested to see how Europeans view America, especially how America is portrayed in the media (I'm a journalism geek...I can't help it!). I want to see for myself what Italians think of President Obama, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I look forward to seeing what news Italian media covers, if they care as much about gossip, kidnappings and storms, and what kind of stories their media fixate on. I'm not sure if I'll have a TV or not, but I'd definitely like to watch a newscast or two and see how their broadcast networks run, even if I have no idea what the reporters are saying. I find media exciting, and I look forward to learning about the Italian system even though I won't be taking any journalism classes.

I know that no matter what happens while I'm in Italy, I'll grow personally. Even if I hate it (which I'm not anticipating), hypothetically I’d learn what kind of place I don't like.

Since it's my first time abroad, I think doing a 5 week program is a smart way to get acquainted with traveling. I’d be more overwhelmed to go somewhere new for four or five months without knowing how I'd react to the new culture.

I plan to try to meet Italians, even if it's just introducing myself to my neighbors. I'll likely live in an apartment building with locals, but I won't know where or with whom until I get there. I want to immerse myself in Italian culture as much as possible in the five short weeks I'm there, so I’m excited about living in a neighborhood and not a dorm room.

I'm looking forward to meeting new people and getting out of life in Boston for awhile (though I do love all of you I'm leaving behind). Most other students at JCU will be from American schools all over the country. Just interacting with them will likely show me new perspectives and personalities I'd otherwise never come across.

I know the experience will help my career, by giving me a new way to view the world around me. Employers look for people with varied experiences to give fresh perspective to their business, studying abroad will be a resume bonus (though that’s not the reason I’m going).

I was nervous at first that I wouldn't find out my roommates until I arrived, but at this point it’s more exciting to just show up to the unknown. It will be like Real World, hopefully without the drama and with all the fun. We'll see. I'll be living in apartments with 3-7 other people, so even if I have a few terrible roommates, chances are one will be good. I don’t think I’m a difficult person to live with, and I’ve had enough bad roommates to know how to deal with unexpected situations. A friend of mine will be in Rome with me, I'm glad she'll be there to run to if I ever need a little bit of Husky spirit back in my life.

I hope to travel to at least one or two other Italian cities (Venice? Florence? Milan?) while I'm abroad. If it doesn't happen I've decided not to worry about it. Spending five weeks in the Eternal City, would be five full weeks in a new culture, lifestyle and environment. I don't leave Boston that often and I don't usually worry about it, there's no reason to stress out about not getting out of Rome. Pending major disaster (which I don't anticipate, but also hope I don't jinx), Europe will still be around for awhile to go back to visit.

1 comment:

  1. i HAD to comment.. i went to italy when i was younger and went to florence, rome, venice, etc etc. places you should definitely see (and i base this on how bad i want to go back and see them 10 years later) are venice and florence. if you have a chance... get to the amalfi coast and pompeii. the first is gorgeous and also historical, and the second is obviously very historical and mind-boggling. hope things are going great with you!

    ReplyDelete